Megan's 1st Hike!

Megan's 1st Hike!
On Saturday morning, Megan & I began driving up towards Deckers, CO with the goal of seeing the fall colors. We got about 10 miles into it, and I saw Devil's Head. Devil's Head is a mountain that you can see from many places in the metro area. It is a rocky outcropping that features the only remaining CO fire lookout on top.


When we came to the sign for the turnoff, I decided to make the turn onto the dirt road and venture the 9 miles to the trailhead. I knew the trail wasn't too long, but I wasn't sure. If it was a mile or less, we were going to do it. If it was over a mile, we'd head back out in search of yellow Aspens. It was 1.4 miles one way. After talking it over with Megan, we decided to go for it.


Megan was amazing! I was so proud of her. This hike was not that easy and she did it all by herself...almost. I carried her for the last couple tenths of a mile on the way up. Once we were at the top, we still had 143 stairs to climb up to the fire lookout that claims to have 100 mile views in all directions. Megan plowed up the stairs counting each one.


After spending some time on top and eating our packed lunch, Megan hiked the entire way down. It was a great afternoon!


Here are two pics I found online of the staircase we had to climb:


Staircase Pic #1


Staircase Pic #2


Comments

  1. Megan!

    You are so awesome! Your Papa use to take your Mommy on hikes and coming back (if she was going slow and complaining) he would tell her there were snakes behind her so she would speed it up. I bet your Daddy didn't pull bad tricks like that, did he?
    Great outing Woody, I still hold the times of being in the woods or fields with my Dad as precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about this? You'll have to tell us more specifically where it is. I heard it was in the outskirts of Castle Rock, but I don't recall ever seeing a turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Head up Santa Fe (85) from CR. When you hit Sedalia, head West for 10 miles. You'll then come to a dirt road with a sign for Devil's Head. Turn left and you'll arrive at the trailhead in about 9 miles. It's a great hike. About 2.8 miles roundtrip, so you can take your time and it doesn't take too long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment