Rudolph's Revenge - Three Lessons Learned

Rudolph's Revenge - Three Lessons Learned
Last Saturday morning was the first of my three winter races. It was the 10K race over at Chatfield State Park.

It was a brisk morning and I was excited to run with the other 300+ people. I learned three important lessons this day that I know I won't forget for some time to come:

1. I will never choose to run in a race that has an elevation profile like the one above. It was nuts. The first two miles were ridiculously hard and had me wanting to stop with 4 miles to go. Yes, there was a nice downhill run between mile 2 & 3...but how could I enjoy it when all the while I was thinking about having to run back up it.

2. Since it was a 10K (6.2 miles), I thought I would be able to deviate from my standard, comfortable pace...and run it a little faster. What a dumb mistake. I got caught up in the adrenaline rush at the beginning and practically sprinted with the other runners. This too played a big part in the wall I hit at mile two.

3. I will never eat a big salad for dinner the night before and then a big bowl of frosted mini-wheats 2 hours before I run.

Next month's race is a 10 miler back at Chatfield. This time we run in the opposite direction which is thankfully more flat.

Comments

  1. that is a wicked climb between miles 3 and 5. it reminds me of high school cross country and switchbacks. I too thought I would die, running a total of three miles, barely above sea level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chuckled about the running in reverse being more flat. Isn't it the same terrain, only backwards? :) At least you don't have to run today. 6.2 miles in 3 feet of snow might take a while longer. How are we ever going to dig out of here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike - now that I re-read that I can see that I was confusing. The second race will start in the same place but run away from those crazy hills...following the shore of the lake in the other direction. Sorry to stump you there...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment