What I like about camping...

What I like about camping...
On Saturday morning, we sat by the shore of Steamboat Lake and watched the kids play in the water. Kacey, Tanya & I launched into a conversation answering the question, 'What level of cleanliness do you need when you camp?' It got me thinking about why I like to camp so much. Here is my answer to that question and some of the things I came up with...

- I like to get dirty. Not filthy, but getting a little dirt under my finger nails, having my hair get a tad oily...it's all good. Almost every day, I get up, shower and shave. For work, I have to wear a tie...boo! Getting a little dirty around the campsite feels really good breaking away from the norm of everyday cleanliness.

- Along the same lines, I love waking up in the morning to find the smell of campfire smoke still firmly embedded in my nose hairs. It's a great reminder of the relaxation I had the night before sitting around the fire, being mesmerized by the flames, and occasionally gazing at the stars.

- It makes me appreciate and be thankful for all the comforts we have at home. Fortunately, we don't have pit toilets at home...but ones that are actually clean and flush...and we have more than one to choose from!

- Food always tastes amazing when you're camping!

- I love watching the girls (more so Megan now) play outdoors. I feel like getting them out of the house, away from toys and into nature gets their creative juices flowing for how to play in a totally different way.

- I love being in nature. It's amazing what I see when I step off the fast track of life and slow down. I start noticing the flowers, chipmunks, clouds & stars. I know this all sounds cheesy, but it never fails to produce a sense of wonder and awe in me. This allows me to forget about the stuff of life like work, bills, yardwork...or at least it puts those things into proper perspective.

Comments

  1. I went on a camping trip about ten years ago that was very fun. The showers were actually a ten minute drive away, and cost a few dollars to use, and had long lines. We did have a working rest room near our campsite though. We drove to the showers once in the middle of the week and just went swimming everyday. It was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woody, I love the introspective part of you! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Megan is enjoying the wild Lupines - they are so beautiful at this time of year. Your love of natural things is definitely inherited!... wait til you see our trail at camp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woody, you need to come and visit us. We live in nature 24/7 and it doesn't get old. Not a building in sight,just trees, birds, clouds and sky. Only down side is having to go so far to civilization which is a necessity if we want to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, you do live in a nature lovers paradise. Take a deep breath of that fresh air for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment