Moffat Tunnel

Moffat Tunnel
So I mentioned yesterday that we came upon this weird looking building with a sign for Moffat Tunnel on it. The entrance was tall & narrow and a train track ran right down the middle. I couldn't quite make out where the tunnel continued beyond the building part. The mountainside seemed too far away and it looked flat with many trees in between.


About an hour after arriving, I heard a train whistle off in the distance. Sure enough a big freight train came along and disappeared into the tunnel. It was bizarre sight. It just didn't seem possible since the depth perception makes it appear that there was nowhere for it to go. Not to mention that seconds after the last locomotive went in...silence.


I've since learned from Wikipedia that this tunnel cuts through the Continental Divide and is 6.2 miles long. The other side of the tunnel is in Winter Park. Ah, the lightbulb went off! This must be how the ski train gets from Denver to Winter Park each weekend.


So, is it just me or does it look like the tunnel doesn't continue past the buildings? I should have taken a picture from the backside since there's nothing there!

Comments

  1. Life is just full of mysteries! Just yesterday I larned you can't put 20,000 lbs worth of stuff into an 18,000 lb house. Anybody need pictures frames or office supplies? I should have listened to Tanya when she told me 6 months ago, get rid of some of your things, its freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is strange! Too bad the ski train doesn't run anyomere (last I heard) or you could take a ride and see the rest of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment