Tri-umph

Tri-umph
Yesterday I completed my fourth triathlon along with 3,000 other nervously enthusiastic women, a handful of them being my good friends and family. It was a joy this year to have Rachel (my cousins wife), Catrina (Woody's cousin's wife) and my next door neighbor Kelly doing it for the first time. They were awesome! I love seeing people work towards something they thought was crazy just months earlier. My training buddies Kacey and Meghan rocked it too.


Even though I knew what to expect during the tri, I still got plenty nervous leading up to it on Saturday. Those nerves stuck and I thought often about loosing my cookies during the race! The swim was difficult. For the first time, I was seriously considering swimming over to the rescue kayak and giving up. But alas, I wanted to get out of the water, so I trudged on.


On the bike portion a small hummingbird or large dragonfly flew into my helmet, which caused some commotion. Thankfully it didn't stay long. It was tricky re-clipping my helmet back on with one hand though.


The run went well. This was what I have been training most for this year. My goal was to run the entire three miles. Let me tell ya, it was a huge mental game for me. LOUD voices were telling me to W.A.L.K! But I also heard a little voice urging me to run on. So I turned up the volume on my Shuffle and rocked out to some Bangles, Rhianna and John Denver (I know, interesting mix) to the finish line.


Feels great to be done. I'm thankful for the experience and the knowledge that I can overcome things I never thought possible. A big thanks to my Mom, my brother's family and of course Woody and the girls for coming out to see me. It was so encouraging to see loved ones and their cheers totally helped me keep going.

Comments

Post a Comment