If I Only Knew...

If I Only Knew...
If I really had an understanding of what I was about to embark upon, I don't believe I would have agreed to it. I admit I was crabby for the first part...but come on, it was early in the morning and the trail was already steep.


I could spend a good amount of time complaining about how difficult it was to hike at altitude, that there were no bathrooms, and that the mountain tops never seemed to get any closer. Instead, I'll share with you a couple of my favorite moments.


The first came at our first break in the middle of a beautiful field speckled with wildflowers. We ate a yummy energy bar and sat on a rock...I was in my happy place. I believe the next came over an hour later, when I finally reached the first summit. It was such a great feeling. My favorite memory is the look of shock on Woody's face when I decided to summit the next peak with him. I thought for sure I wouldn't do it, but changed my mind at the last minute. Summiting the next peak was amazing because I didn't think I could do it.


Lastly, the best moment by far was sitting in the back of the truck and taking my shoes off after a long morning of hiking. I had a fabulous time with Woody. He encouraged me and talked to me when I didn't have enough breath to talk back. I'm looking forward to bagging another one...maybe.

Comments

Post a Comment