Flashback - Sometime in 2002

Flashback - Sometime in 2002
This is a picture from Megan's one year birthday party. That's not what I wanted to flashback to. Read on.

During this past World Cup, I was asked by two people whether or not a player could score a goal on a corner kick by directly kicking it in the goal and not have it touch any players. It was an easy answer since I have seen it happen in person.

While living in SB, I played on a soccer team with some good friends. I played goalie. I don’t really remember many goals that were either scored against me or by our team, but one stands out to me above all others.

We were playing a very good team called Aggressive. We did not have enough guys show up, so we had to take them on a man down. We hung with them, playing all defense and kept the game scoreless going into halftime. With about 20 minutes to go in the game, Mike Walker (the guy on the left) took a corner kick for us. He noticed the goalie was standing far off his line, so he bent the kick into the goal in such a way, the goalie never saw it coming and it flew into the back side netting. It was unbelievable. What was even more unbelievable is that he meant to do it!

We ended up hanging on for the 1-0 win. This is one of the few pictures I have with Mike in it.

Comments

  1. Love the picture...what a fun 1 year old birthday party that was for Megan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record... I would never think of trying that if you were in the goal Woody! Thanks for the props, but you and Paul likely deserve much more credit for any game we won 1-0!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am getting choked up thinking back to the days of tg united.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My not-so-fond memory of soccer was having you take warm-up shots on me before the game. Yes, I remember the embarassment of flailing left and right trying to stop your perfectly placed shots. I do agree...when you and Paul played sweeper for me...those were very good times. Many times you guys sacrificed your bodies so I wouldn't get blasted by a point blank shot! Have I ever thanked you guys for that??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment