Not what you think...

Not what you think...
Our town is not going up in flames..

And despite my sunset discourse yesterday, this is not a sunset...

This was taken at about 6:50am on Wednesday. I was walking up our stairs when I looked out the window. I couldn't grab my camera and bust out the front door fast enough.


Getting a little vulnerable now...At the Avs game on Tuesday, I struck up a conversation with one of the bank bigwigs hosting us in the suite. He was a cool guy and very approachable. I learned he too had 2 daughters, ages 9 & 11. I asked what types of things his girls enjoyed doing and after listing off several sporting & dance activities, he said it's important to he and his wife to instill in their daughters the need to serve those less fortunate than them. So for the last 5-6 years, they have been volunteering as a family each month at the Ronald McDonald House & a homeless shelter. I told him how cool I thought it was that he was encouraging his girls towards such rewarding and impacting activities and how that is so rare these days. He responded (and here's what really hit me) by saying, 'you know Woody, the acorn never falls far from the tree...if you do it and make it a priority, your girls will see that and will want to do what you do.' I've heard that saying before, but this time the light bulb went off. He wasn't speaking directly to me, but he could have been, since I needed to hear it. I struggle with how to care for the poor without getting my hands dirty. Give money...ya that's good. Pray for them...ya that's good too. But actually interacting with them and physically caring for them in a tangible way...ya, that doesn't fit into my comfort zone. He helped me see that my perspective will be passed on to my girls through my action or inaction. If I want them to have a heart for people and care for those less fortunate, then I need to show them that same heart is in me. So where does this leave me? I don't know, but I'm thinking about it in a different light now.

Comments

Post a Comment