Columbine Lake Backpacking Trip

Columbine Lake Backpacking Trip
This was a tough weekend to come back to reality from. Megan and I returned from a fabulous overnighter with Scott and Kelsey in the Indian Peaks Wilderness at Columbine Lake. Scott & I planned months ago to take our "older" kids on their first backpacking trip, and I'm pleased to say it won't be their last! The girls did great motoring up the trail that gained about 1000' over three miles. We took frequent breaks for Snickers and Twizzlers, which helped fuel such a strong effort!


We hit the trail on Saturday around noon and hiked the three miles up to just over 11,000' and settled right at the base of the Continental Divide. The lake was pristine and surrounded by babbling brooks and ample wildflowers. Our campsite was elevated about 100' away from the lake. You can see one of the tents to the left of the lake in the top right picture.


In such a short period of time, we had so many funny and memorable moments. Here are a few:


- For dinner, we served the girls some "organic" mac 'n cheese. Both girls complained that it tasted gross. That is not an uncommon complaint from Megan, so I lectured her about eating it since it was all we had and she needed it for energy. How bad can mac 'n cheese be? After more droopy eyes and negative comments, I finally tasted it.....ICK, GACK, COUGH....yes, these were the sounds of me gagging! It was simply awful. Megan got to eat a tortilla filled with corn instead.


- While Scott & I are experienced car/tent/pop-up campers, planning for a backpacking trip is a whole different animal. Both Scott and I had extensive checklists that we worked off of. Somehow we forgot bug spray. As we drove to the trailhead, I stated that we should have no problem since I didn't believe mosquitos lived up at 11,000'. Famous last words. Oh yes, those little blood suckers not only lived up there, but thrived. We all received our fair share of bites and I was frequently reminded of my assertion with each one.


- I wish I had a video of Scott and I trying to hang our food from a tree branch at night. We didn't want any bears stealing our breakfast! It was hilarious. A simple task of tying rope to a rock and throwing it over a branch not more than ten feet away became a monumental task. In the end we had success, but it was ridiculous how many attempts it took.


The girls have agreed to a two night trip next year, so Scott and I are going to start our checklists now (bug spray is at the top of mine) and even work on planning some meals that aren't dehydrated...or organic!

Comments

  1. i bet next year it will be 2 daddies and 4 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our packs were already 50+ lbs, so I'm not sure we could carry another two kids worth of gear. Maybe if we brought a llama with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment