Do you lichen the picture?

Do you lichen the picture?
I've been thinking a lot these days about when are you supposed to teach your kids about the crummy stuff of life...like death. I was reading Megan the story 'Snow White' the other day. This particular version did not sugarcoat it one bit. I found myself trying to exercise quick thinking and tell the story in such a way that didn't involve her being murdered by a wicked queen who didn't like the the fact that Snow White was prettier.

I know kids will get exposed to these things at some point and as parents we should be prepared for how we're going to respond and teach our kids...but I just feel she's too young to have to explain things like cruelty, hate & death. Megan is so innocent right now and there is something amazingly beautiful about that. Her only exposure to death has been the explanation she received when she realized Nana's dog Jake was no more. She believes Jake took a balloon ride up to God. Funny, that she now holds on to balloons with the tightest grip possible...so that it doesn't go on a ride to God.

Comments

  1. That's a tough one. I know that things would come up all the time when I taught fourth grade that I didn't feel comfortable addressing (death, how I got pregnant, what happened to the little girl on the bus by the bus driver, 9-11 (which I did not have a choice), divorce, why family members used drugs... I guess you need to cross those bridges when you come to them, and be proactive with what you can control. I always gave a vague discription and then if more questions were brought up I would say "You know, I think that is a good conversation to have with your parents when you get home today." Sorry to all the parents who have had a tough question dropped on them when they got off of work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment